I’m reading an excellent book on leadership right now called Jesus on Leadership by C.Gene Wilkes. Some notable quotes so far:
- A servant leader serves the mission and leads by serving those on mission with him.
- The leader becomes servant to those who have joined him when he provides adequate vision, direction, correction, and resources to carry out the mission entrusted to the group. The leader serves when he equips others and “teams” with them to reach the goal of mission together.
- Leadership is not something you pursue. Leadership is something others give to you.
- You will never become a servant leader until you first become a servant to the Leader.
- Two distinguishing character qualities of a servant leader are humility and the ability to wait.
- The difference between pride and authentic confidence is the source. God grants confidence to those who trust him.
- More than any other single way, the grace of humility is worked into our lives through the discipline of service. (quoting Richard J. Foster, Celebration of Discipline)