Two things have consumed our time in the last couple weeks: 1) relationship building at South Mac Church; and 2) the logistics of moving to Uptown Dallas.
On the first front, we’ve enjoyed being back around the staff, elders and members of the South MacArthur Church of Christ, our primary partnering church. Grady King, the preaching minister, and I are in the midst of tag-team preaching in a series on prayer last weekend and this weekend. It’s been a blast doing sermon prep and preaching with Grady. I’m also working through a story-oriented evangelistic curriculum, which I helped to create, with a class of people on Wednesday nights. We’re also developing a support team of South Mac members who will pray for us, visit us occasionally, and serve as our relational liaisons to South Mac.
Our last day at South Mac is January 27. Ryan Porche will lead worship and I’ll preach—on discernment in prayer, of all topics! It’ll be a great foretaste of the ways Ryan and I will get to work together in the future. We’ll have a special time of sending and blessing from the elders and staff as well. Beginning Feb. 1, we’ll be on the job in Dallas.
Speaking of Dallas, we’ve had no small number of curve balls concerning our housing situation. As I’ve mentioned in previous emails, we were pursuing a free housing option with Apartment Life. We heard the first week of January that there would be no openings for 4-6 months. So, after much prayer and fasting, we decided that if nothing miraculous happened with Apartment Life in the week that followed, we would move on to other options.
Almost immediately, we found a place we loved right in Uptown. We put in an application, were approved and decided to move this weekend. We’re ecstatic…except. Except is such a significant little word. Except…we got a call yesterday from Apartment Life saying they have a lead on a property in Uptown/Downtown that needs a CARES Team. It would require us to sign a 3-month lease at the prospective property in hopes of becoming a CARES Team there later.
The only catch is that we don’t know exactly what property it is. It could be studios or lofts, for all we know (not quite conducive for a family of three).
We hope to know the name of the property today or tomorrow, but who knows. What should we do? We’re asking God to make it clear.
Please pray with us that God will give us wisdom, discernment and a clear sense of leading from him.
It really sounds like this has been very tough on you guys. I remember feeling some of the same things you must be feeling now, when it took us six months to close on our house. However, I know that if God is bringing you to it, He’ll bring you through it, but never-the-less. We’ll be praying that His will is done and that your sanity stays as close to normal as possible. If that can be called sanity.
Peace Be With You